The North Burnaby Library Association is formed. Members pay $1 to use a collection of 397 books.
A small store at 4147 East Hastings Street becomes the first actual library building.
Burnaby Public Library is established by a municipal bylaw.
Burnaby Public Library opens in south Burnaby on September 24, with a collection of 13,139 volumes to serve 83,745 Burnaby residents. The Bookmobile service begins, with 31 stops per week through the entire municipality.
The North Burnaby Library Association merges with Burnaby Public Library.
The collection grows to 100,000 books for the citizens of Burnaby, whose population also grows to 100,000. The McGill Branch opens in North Burnaby, its name honouring a dedicated library volunteer, Grace McGill who had worked with the North Burnaby Library association since 1927.
The Bookmobile service ends and Home Library Service begins.
The Kingsway, Central Park, and Cameron branches open.
The Bob Prittie Metrotown Branch opens, its name honouring former Burnaby teacher, MP, alderman, mayor and library board member Robert "Bob" Prittie.
Burnaby Public Library joins in the formation of InterLINK, which currently provides barrier-free library service to residents of Greater Vancouver, Bowen Island, the Fraser Valley, Squamish and Whistler.
BPL serves a local population of 187,900 people with a collection of 624,100 items and has the highest circulation per capita of any large urban public library in Canada.
Construction of the new 27,000-square-foot McGill branch is completed.
Fifty-year celebration. Patron memories and stories are collected in Reflections: Memories From Our First 50 Years [PDF].
The Kingsway branch closes and is replaced by the new Tommy Douglas Library at 7311 Kingsway.