What is Reading Buddies?
Reading Buddies is a program where teens and children are paired up for one-on-one reading in a safe, fun and friendly environment. The goals of this program are to provide children with extra reading practice and to provide teens with leadership skills and an opportunity to engage with community.
Children must be starting grade 2, 3 or 4; teens must be entered in grade 9, 10, 11 or 12.
Reading Buddies rotates through Burnaby Public Library locations. Reading Buddies is offered in the winter at McGill, and in the summer at Metrotown. For details on a specific season and location please click on the links below. For general details on the Reading Buddies program, please continue reading this page.
How to Apply?
You must apply separately for each Reading Buddies location. Please click on the desired season and location below for full application details. For general qualification, please continue reading this page.
What qualifications do I need to be a Teen Reading Buddy?
- Entering grade 9, 10, 11 or 12 in September
- Patience and enthusiasm
- Strong English-language skills and an ability to communicate well
- A willingness to work and cooperate with fellow teens and coordinators
- Must be available for all five sessions of the program
- Resident of Burnaby (No residents of other municipalities can be accepted)
Will I be trained as a Reading Buddy?
Training will be provided. Successfull applicants are expected to attend training. Ongoing training will be provided at each session as needed.